.

.

Monday, January 6, 2014

MY BEST JUNK OF 2013

Well, we're into our first junking week of the new year, and I didn't find a darn thing! To console myself, I took a look back at the junk I found in 2013. While there wasn't a quantity of junk, we've all learned that it's quality that matters! Here's 13 of my best finds of 2013, in no particular order: 
1. Chein Watering Can---The price of this watering can was waaaay out of my comfort zone, but after alot of trial and error on Ebay, I finally won this long sought after can! 
2. Pink Zenith Tube Radio---This was a flea market find. I've had alot of great luck finding pink radios, but I think I've finally reached the point where I can safely walk away from one without buying it! 
3. Glorious Green Plastic Bird Cage---Another item that was hard to find, but persistence pays off!
4. Hand-Quilted Butterfly Quilt---Honestly I've reached my limit as far as displaying and storing vintage quilts are concerned, but when it's a real beauty, and only $3, you're a fool to pass one like this up!
5. Dollhouse Gardening Shed---It was weeks before I finally talked the flea market seller into letting me have it at my price. I had to have it! Not only is it super-cute, but I think my dollhouse needed it too. Click HERE to see my dollhouse and the other three sides of this sweet little shed.
6. Patriotic Picnic Tin---I've been trying to own one of these for years. It finally became apparent to me that I wouldn't/couldn't pay the going rate for one in good vintage condition, so I settled for a banged up one. Still love it to pieces! 
7. Lady Head Vase---After years of collecting and selling these, I've fallen back in love with them, and particularly the more modern-looking gals like this one. She's a real charmer, even with a cracked neck. And those tacky plastic flowers are fantastic! 
8. Girl Scout Camera---I'm crazy about vintage Girl Scout stuff! Don't even think about trying to win one of these on Ebay unless you've recently won the lottery. This camera was a happy cheap find at an antique store.
9. Red Tonka Truck---All it takes is the right flea market seller to turn up on a given week who is not asking an exorbitant amount for a vintage toy truck. The Ertl wagon/cart was a nice find later in the summer. Christmas Tree/Pumpkin Farm is OPEN for business!
10. Aqua Pyrex Fridgies---Ever since I decided to add some aqua to our kitchen, I've wanted some fridgies, but the only place I saw them was on those amazing Pyrex-loving blogs. Again, I wasn't comfortable with the price, but I knew I'd seriously rue the day if I passed them up. I'm still ruing the day, but it's because I didn't get the matching big-size fridgie!
11. BECO (Bernard Edward Company) Pink And Black Bird Cage---Did I need another bird cage? No. Did I want a pink and black one? I only hesitated a second before I lifted it off the shelf, so the answer is YES. It pays to stop at the thrift stores every single time you're in the area!
12. Birdie Clothespins and Why Yes, Another Watering Can---I originally bought these birdies to go in my cages, but I've since replaced them with vintage ceramic parakeets. So they're still waiting for me to find something cute for them to do/hold around the house. The watering can was another pricey addition, but the collection needed it!
13. Insect Flash Cards---Each card is a little work of art, and I'm just waiting for the right vintage picture frame to come my way so that I can display them all on the wall. I like bugs. Some of them are very pretty, and they all have their part to play in nature. As long as they stay outside!
It wasn't very hard to come up with the 13 listed above, because it just wasn't a very good junking year. But these next two pieces of junk deserve a little merit:  
1. Flickery Christmas Lantern Decoration---It's the epitome of vintage Christmas decor for me. It's a lantern, it's plastic, and it lights up!
2. Cement Deer Statue---I especially love my garden junk, so when I saw this deer at an estate sale, I didn't take my hands off of it until someone came around to take my money and slap a big SOLD sign on it. This is what he looked like back in April when he was lovingly placed in one of the gardens.
Here he is, 3 weeks ago. 
And here he is today. You can barely see him anymore!   
Will it ever stop snowing?!?!
It's been snowing all day, and Monday the high is expected to be -10. That's 10 below zero! This snow isn't going anywhere for a very long time!~~~~~~~Thanks for looking at all of my "special" junk. Wishing everyone a year of good junkin'!!!

22 comments:

Primitive Stars said...

Wow, so many wonderful goodies you find, love the watering can , so sweet and the gardening tin shed.....Also the Christmas lantern is so neat..Blessings Francine.

Diane said...

Nice finds! My year for thrifting was not too great either. Funny to see your deer "disappear." That's what my yard looks like too. Stay warm!

Anonymous said...

Fun junk! :) Yep, sometimes we just have to pay more than planned for that coveted piece! I've wondered if that will happen to me with wanting a tin doll house.

You should give us all some pointers on price negotiations. People never come down for me so I hardly ever ask.

Those birdie clothes pins would look so cute holding some kitchen linens on a line!

Here's to a great year of junking in 2014!

Michelle said...

I love all of these finds! I have several metal dollhouses and would have had to have that gardening shed!

Musings from Kim K. said...

I think you know my favorite...the infamous dollhouse gardening shed!!I had to go back and revisit that post over again. It's quite fantastic. I'll always be green with envy over your water can collection. It's fabulous! Cheers to a wonderful year of treasures in 2014!

PixieVintage said...

It is so hard to pick a favorite of all your treasures, I love them all - especially the bird related items. But, my absolute favorite is the little garden shed, it is beyond adorable! I have never seen one in the thrifts or antique stores, or surely it would have come home with me. Great items, and I wish you the best in thrifting in 2014! Stay warm and cozy :)

Annette said...

My heart goes out to all those in the path of this awful winter storm. We are having unusually dry weather in the northwest.(except rain starts tonight) I love your finds but my favorites are the green plastic bird cage and the little deer. You really find great things and I love seeing them on your blog. Stay warm and safe.

Sarah said...

No such thing as too many quilts and I am still in L O V E with the sweetness of that scallop and that green on that butterfly. If you lived closer I would home them and you could visit them! LOL

(I looked up those ceramic parakeets on Ebay and wow! I had no idea. I don't think I have ever seen one but I will be looking now.)

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I love junkin awards as I do my own each year. This year I didn't find very much but I did find some sweet things that made me happy! I have some great vintage GS Fabric made into a little bag. I'll send it to you if you email me your address! Hugs! Linda

Unknown said...

I think you did incredible last year! That green plastic bird cage....WOW!!!!! Girl, you know how to go junkin'!!!!!

Jill said...

I think your thrifted treasures are just fine - here's to finding some great things in 2014.

laurie -magpie ethel said...

I really like #3 (since I have one just like it) and number #5 (since it is just dang cute). Fun to look back at what one finds during the year huh? Crazy, crazy weather for you guys..such a difference from this part of the US. Stay warm.

ThrifterSisters said...

Because of you, vintage bird cage has made it on to my Must Find list. I have just the place put a few so now I just need to keep my eyes peeled!

Happy New Year!!

~Erica

Barbara said...

Apart from the fact that you constant torture me with images of the latest watering can you've acquired, I enjoyed this post. I would give my right arm for that gardening shed. It is adorable. (Maybe you can find tiny watering cans to store in it.)

Margaret said...

Happy new year carol! Cant wait to see what you'll find in 2014! I love that green bird cage, doll house shed, flickering lantern, deer...oh heck i love it all! Happy junking!

Protector of Vintage said...

You found GREAT treasures in 2013!!! I LOVE that gardening shed.

School has been cancelled here for two days due to the cold weather!! We don't have too much snow, just way below zero temperatures/wind chills.

Looking forward to seeing all your great treasures this year!!

Mecky said...

I froze completely solid when you said -10. That is just too cold.

You have found some great things this year.
You are right that it would be crazy to not grab that quilt for 3 bucks. Glad it went home with you.

Stay warm

~Damita's Pretty Wrap~ said...

Oh those are all fabulous!! I love that pink radio! I've been wanting to start collecting a few, they're so neat! Those are all such wonderful finds! Wishing you a lovely day!! xo Holly
Ps. I'm your newest follower, I'm not sure how I didn't find your blog until today, but I just adore it!! :) So many lovely things, I'm going to take another glance around!

Unknown said...

I LOVE vintage and your vintage Valentine décor in your sidebar is so pretty and adorable. Such a lovely collection. Can't wait to see what you post for Valentine's this year.
Hugs, Lynnie

SueLovesCherries said...

What do you mean it wasn't a very good year junking? As we have the same tastes, I'm still lusting over that first watering can and, of course, the dollhouse shed!

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

Cute post. Your #1 pick, I have myself. My favorite you got was the potting shed...oh to find one myself I would be over the moon!
Now get out there and start working on your best of 2014!

Marlynne said...

You find the neatest things! Love those little bird clothes pins!